College of Education

The Forum on the Future of Public Education

People Direct Admission Volatility in State Funding External Social Benefits of Higher Education Blog (Archive) News Events
Expert on pre-language communication to give annual Goldstick Lecture

by Sharita Forrest  /   Oct 12, 2017

Nancy C. Brady, an expert on pre-language communication and language development in young children, will give the annual Goldstick Family Lecture in the Study of Communication Disorders at the I Hotel and Conference Center.

Brady’s talk, which is titled “Show Me What You Mean,” will describe her research and clinical activities, which led to the development of a tool that measures nonspeech communication in individuals who don’t or can’t speak, including people with severe autism, Down syndrome and sensory impairments. Brady and her colleagues are using the tool to measure the progress of two different communication interventions.

A certified speech language pathologist, Brady is a professor of speech-language-hearing at the University of Kansas and an investigator with the university’s Life Span Institute.

The Goldstick Lecture series, sponsored by the Department of Special Education, is made possible by an endowment from Phillip C. and Beverly Kramer Goldstick that funds the Goldstick Initiative for the Study of Communication Disorders.

The lecture/seminar series enables Illinois faculty members and students to share their research and brings a prominent scholar to the U of I campus every fall to speak about his or her work.

The event will include remarks by James D. Anderson, the dean of the College; Caryn Goldstick Zelinger; Phillip Goldstick; and Hedda Meadan-Kaplansky, the 2017 Goldstick Family Scholar.

Brady will also give an Oct. 20 talk in Room 22 of the Education building.

Read the full Illinois News Bureau article.

Archived News